Thursday, January 30, 2014

Senior Night

Last night was Senior Night at the Central Valley wrestling match against Lewis and Clark HS. So that means it was Carson's last home match of his high school career. And yes, he invited me to attend the match. YAY!

I wasn't sure how I would do, emotion-wise. I had been on the verge of tears all day, even getting misty-eyed at the middle school basketball I was timing at right before the match. I couldn't believe that I was getting teary at a basketball game. Carson didn't ever play basketball! But I kept watching those 8th grade boys, many I have watched grow from early elementary school, and realizing how true the old cliché, "Time goes so by in the blink of an eye" is. I wondered if the parents of those boys really appreciated the honesty of the cliché? I'm sure some of them do since they have been down that path before--moving children on to the high school and into adulthood. But some of them were watching their oldest sons playing a game of middle school basketball and probably not even really thinking ahead to what comes next. And maybe that is how it should be--staying in the moment and not worrying about the next stage. It will come soon enough.

Anyway, by time Senior Night started and Carson's name was called, I was cool as a cucumber. I enjoyed accepting his rose, giving him a hug, thanking the coach and getting a picture to commemorate the occasion. Not even a little mist filled my eyes. It was a fun night.

Oh, and as luck would have it, Carson had a forfeit for the night. Figures...he finally invites me to come to a match and he has a forfeit. Oh well.

1 comment:

mom said...

Well, on his record a win is a win - but not much to watch. Wonder if he knew that it was likely to be a forfeit.....Glad he "let" you go.