Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Can You Relate?



I'm so very glad that today's technology wasn't available when I was in high school. I did enough damage without it. I also suffered enough at the hands of others without it.

Those experiences from high school (well really starting in junior high school) were painful and awful. But looking back I can see some lessons that I have learned.

First, the words you say spread like feathers on the wind and no matter how hard you try to gather them all in and make things better, you can't possibly gather them all. So it's better to be positive and uplifting with your words right from the start.

Second, the reputation you graduate from high school with will be the reputation you have when you return for high school reunions. You may have changed the path of your life and your behavior may have taken a 180 degree turn but that is not what your high school classmates will see. They will see you how they remember you.

But I have also learned that doing what is right is more important than fitting in. That's part of growing up, right? Now,I struggle to have patience with people who are exclusive and "cliquey". I try to be cognizant of those who are on the fringe and seek ways to help them feel understood and heard. I am learning to speak up for those who don't have the strongest voice and are overlooked.

I thank Heavenly Father every day for sending me Katelyn because she comes by love, grace and acceptance naturally. She is a wonderful example to me since I have to work on those things (love, grace, acceptance) every day; my high school self is always lurking in the background just waiting for an opportunity to be ugly and show how cool I am by bringing others down.

No comments: