Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Quotes for Today

I shared these quotes in the letter I wrote to Katelyn today. To me, they all were connected; although I did not draw the connection for Katelyn because I wanted her to come to her conclusions on what that connection might be.

Quote 1
Incredible change happens in your life when you decide to take control of what do have power over instead of craving control over what you don't. --Steve Maraboli

Quote 2
As we temporarily endure the challenges we can solve and as we continue to endure the challenges we cannot solve, it is important to remember that the spiritual strength we develop will help us successfully endure all the challenges we face in life.-- Elder Richard J Maynes 

Quote 3
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.
--Reinhold Niebuhr  

Scripture and Song:

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will direct your paths.



Lead, Kindly Light
Lead, kindly Light, amid th'encircling gloom;
Lead thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home;
Lead, thou me on!
Keep thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distance scene, one step enough for me

So long the pow'r hath blest me, sure it still
Will lead me on
O'er moor and fen, o'er crag and torrent, till
The night is gone.
And with the morn those angel faces smile
Which I have loved long since,
and lost awhile!


Where is the connection for all these? For me, it is simply in that the only things we can control is the things we have power over (like our choices, attitudes, faith, etc). Difficulties and challenges will arise that will often having us seeking control over things that we just don't have power over. We need God to help us accept that we don't have that power or control, endure those things and strengthen us along the way. If we seek for His guidance, He will guide us with his light and give us courage to face the dark. Our vision of how things might/should be is often clouded and skewed; God's vision is perfectly clear and we need to rely and trust in that.

So what do you think? What do you draw from these quotes, scripture and song? I would love to hear your thoughts.



No comments: