Thursday, June 26, 2014

A Strange Dream

Do you remember dreams? Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. The ones that seem to stick are the ones that occur close to my normal wake-up time and are somewhat strange. This morning's dream was one that stuck.

I had travelled with my mom and Katelyn to a large city (I think it was Vegas). I had a huge hotel suite to be shared with Katelyn. For some reason, once we arrived my mom had to leave to go get my dad. This required her to rent a car and drive to get him. Katelyn also decided that she wanted to go and visit my Aunt Shirley (my grandma's sister who used to live in Orem. I'm not sure if she is even still alive). Anyway, the dream meanders through a couple of days where I bump into Spokane-area friends at a gym I am working out at. I never visit the Vegas strip--probably because I really have no frame of reference for that since I have never been to Vegas. At one point I return to the hotel suite while the housekeeping staff are in the room. I remember feeling embarrassed about the state of the room. There seemed to be lots of clothes and shoes all over the floor; all of them Katelyn's. At that point in time it dawns on me that I have no idea where Katelyn is. I haven't heard from her and quite honestly I had forgotten all about her. My mom had arrived back at the suite (sans my dad which was weird) and I asked her "Do you think I should be freaking out yet that I have no idea where Katelyn is and that I haven't hear from her?" We thought about tracking her phone via GPS, but before we could do anything I woke up.

Do you try to find meaning in your dreams or view them as premonitions? I can't say that I really do either one. Most of the time, I just think "hmmm, that was strange" and leave it at that. I find that trying to find meaning or a message in my dreams just drives me crazy. But I woke up from this dream feeling so guilty for it taking me 3 days to remember that Katelyn had accompanied us on the trip to begin with and that I hadn't heard anything from her. Furthermore, I'm not sure I would have even noticed that she hadn't been around if I hadn't been so embarrassed by her clothes and shoes that were all over the room when the housekeeping staff came into clean. That is what bothers the most about this dream--I forgot Katelyn. Ugh, mother fail AGAIN.

Man, today I wish that there weren't such strict regulations around communication with our missionaries. It would be wonderful to hear her voice today and know that she is safe and sound.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The funniest part of all of that is the thought of you, mom and Kate in Vegas. Oh man, I can just see it!

Nate