Monday, June 30, 2014

Sayonara, June. I Think You are a Miserable Month

Oh June, you hold so much promise. It seems that every year we end May desperately looking forward  towards June. And why shouldn't we? After all, June, you do usher in longer days and the start of summer vacation. The world in our neck of the woods really starts buzzing in June. BUT! You are such.a.tease!

Your longer days are necessarily warmer days. Matter of fact your weather tends to be a bit schizophrenic. This year the first week of June was beautiful and warm and all was well. Then, the last week of school you decided to cramp our field day plans by providing cooler, wetter weather. Matter of fact, our monthly rain total for June was a little over .25 inches more than the average. That damp, dreary weather is such a let down after we muddled through the cold and gray winter and early spring.

And then on the days that are nice, when the sun is shining, when it should be a joy to be outside enjoying the fresh air, it is complete misery. For you see, dear June, you also bring a huge spike in the pollen count. May is manageable with only the tree pollen being in the "high" range. But then you come along and add grasses to the mix. So we have high tree pollen and high grass pollen. It is a double whammy that leaves me feeling like I live in a haze of stuffiness.

My nose itches so bad and I rub it so hard and often that I look like a red-nosed wino. And you know my eyes are blood shot, which does nothing to improve my appearance. And there is no denying the itchiness. I spend my evenings with ice packs on my eyes in attempt to relieve the irritation and swelling. Then, there is the congestion that makes running a chore as I try to breathe through the phlegm and mucous.

Oh how I wish I could find an allergy medicine that worked. I think I've tried them all. I don't seem to have much success with any of them. So I resign myself to being miserable for the month of June. I figure I can suck it up for a month.

And there was some good news on the 5 o'clock news tonight. The tree and grass pollen are now both registering low. So bring on July...the heat, the fireworks, the heart of summer. That is my reward for making it through June.

No comments: