Saturday, September 6, 2014

The Week in Review

Monday was Labor Day and a nice to day to just chill, enjoy the sun and get caught up on a few things. I had planned on doing some back-to-work shopping at the big Labor Day sales, but I put myself (and Dave) on a buying moratorium. I have this crazy dream to pay off our house by the end of 2015 and to do so means a bit of purse-string tightening and better accounting of where the dollars are going. Being a two-income household has lulled us into a bit of laziness about carefully managing our money. I don't think we are completely frivolous, but there certainly have been times when we could have been more intentional about a purchase.

Anyway, back to the week in review...

Tuesday was officially my first day of work for the school year. It was a crazy, hectic day. I'm trying to start the school year off invigorated and excited to be doing what I am doing. But I spent a lot of Tuesday doing stuff that I don't enjoy...PAPERWORK! And by paperwork I mean care plans. Lots and lots of care plans. Actually making up the care plans isn't what I dislike. It is all of the copying and distributing that is tedious and time-consuming. Fortunately this year I had extra clerical support to get all of that done. I kept that gal busy from 9:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. with nothing but copying and distributing care plans. Crazy, right?! Just so glad it wasn't me doing all of that copying.

Wednesday was the kiddos first day back to school. It was a rainy, grey day but that didn't seem to dampen many kids' spirits. Pretty much all the ones that I saw were all spiffed up and excited to be at school. That night Dave asked me if I had seen any kids. Sadly, I had not because I was still working on care plans and paperwork. There are some parents out there who just can't seem to get their children's medication and doctor's orders in prior to back-to-school night. I find that beyond frustrating. They have all summer to get the paperwork filled out. But it's the same story every year. I should be used to it after 13 years as a school nurse.

Tuesday and Wednesday reminded me that I need to get in the habit of planning a lunch and dinner. Many of my colleagues just do a quick drive-thru meal for lunch or dinner, but with all of my stupid food allergies that doesn't really work for me. I spent Tuesday and Wednesday a little bit hungry at work because I had failed to plan. Fortunately, Dave had customers in town on those nights so the fact that I hadn't planned anything for dinner was easily overlooked.

I still didn't have lunch planned on Thursday or Friday, but at least it is now on my radar and I'll do better next week. My biggest problem is that I think eating is a hassle in general and hate trying to plan on what to eat.

Thursday was the return of regular season football and guess who showed up at home to watch the Seahawks. Yep, Carson did. He and a buddy from the wrestling team borrowed a vehicle from one of Carson's roommates and drove home so they could watch the football game. It was a bit of surprise when he came in through the garage door, said "Hey Ma, I'm here to watch the game" and then plunked himself down on the couch. And as soon as the game was over, he kissed me on the forehead and headed back to school. But he did head back to school with instructions from his dad not to borrow his roommate's car anymore.

And then it was Friday, which thankfully was quiet and uneventful. Dave and I made a small Costco run after I got home from work. Carson (he comes home on weekends) worked on homework and rested. And that was Friday.

The boys have been gone most of the day today enjoying one last summer hurrah. The new elder's quorum president invited them to go waterskiing and wake surfing. I finished up laundry and enjoyed a day by myself. I did walk down to get my car after dropping it off this morning to get new tires put on it. I estimated that it would take me about 40 minutes to walk the 2.12 miles. I beat my estimation by 10 minutes. It took my only 30 minutes to walk. Not sure if I should be proud of a 15 min/mile for walking but I did work up a bit of a sweat.

So that's it; our week (well my week mostly) in review.

No comments: