Saturday, September 13, 2014

Whoa Dude

I had a minor medical procedure (it was a uterine ablation) yesterday.
I had the option of being put fully under or being mildly sedated.
I hate being fully put under.
That means they have to put down an endotracheal tube.
That means I always wake up with a sore throat and hoarse voice.
So I chose to be mildly sedated.
 
Whoa, dude.
The mild sedation included one hydrocodone, one Xanax, and one anti-nausea med.
Oh and a shot in the butt of Tordol.
 
The doctor gave me the medications about 40 minutes prior to the procedure.
When they brought me back, I was alert and awake.
The doctor was a wee bit surprised.
I had warned him that for whatever reason one hydrocodone doesn't ever seem to work.
He said "You're all of 90 pounds, I'm not giving you any more."
I said OK.
I can remember him starting the procedure.
He talked about the speculum.
He said I might feel some needle pokes.
I did.
He asked if I wanted him to adjust the monitor so I could watch.
I said I could see the monitor OK.
 
And that is the last memory I have of all of yesterday.
 
I don't remember how I got dressed after the procedure.
I don't remember talking with my mom, who is the one who came to get me.
I don't know if I said thank-you to her.
So, thanks Mom. Sorry if I didn't say it yesterday.
 
I  don't remember eating yesterday.
I don't remember Carson coming home.
I don't remember asking Dave anything.
 
But this morning, Dave replayed, in words, what yesterday was like.
He said every time I talked, I would talk louder than usual.
You know I'm a loud talker so that must have been horrible for him.
He said I was on "repeat" cycle with several questions...
"Did I eat?"
"Is Carson home?"
"Where is Carson?"
"Is your truck done?'
 
Carson said when I saw his new shoes I said in a very slow, but loud voice
"Dude, those are sooo cool"
 
Today I am feeling much better.
So far, no pain or cramping.
Grateful for that since that means no need for pain meds.
The boys got the heck out of dodge and went fishing.
I think they were afraid to be with me a whole day if I had to be on pain meds again.
The only things that I seemed to be bothered by are nausea and a headache.
Those might be related to the drugs from yesterday.
 
At one point I texted my friend "better living through pharmaceuticals".
Now that I am back to my old self, I don't believe that.
 I hate not being able to remember yesterday.
But it sounds like I created some interesting memories for Dave and Carson.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Hmmmm- I've heard that "tape-loop" thing before. You remember - when you had your concussion after the incident with the pick-up. At least you are consistent when you're loopy. And you're welcome.