Thursday, October 23, 2014

Runa Clean Energy: I Won't Be Doing That Again

I'm not an evening exerciser. I have way more energy at 4:30 in the morning than I can ever muster up in the evening. But last night Dave wanted to go to a spin class and he really wanted me to go and since I may have felt like I owed him one for hacking his Facebook on his birthday, I told him I would go. But as the time for the class drew closer, I began to dread the thought of putting on work-out clothes, head to the gym, and then spend an hour participating in a class that is a non-preferred activity for me. With the dread of going reaching a critical point, I remembered that I had a Runa Clean Energy drink in the refrigerator. It was in a swag bag I got for volunteering at the Happy Girl race. I had put it in the fridge to have at some later time.

Well, I couldn't think of a better "later time" then last night, when I needed a bit of a pick-me-up to get me out the door to meet Dave for the spin class. So I cracked open the can and had about a quarter of it. A whole can has 120 mg of caffeine. I didn't think I needed that much of a pick-me-up. And then I was off to meet Dave for the spin class.

I can't say that I noticed much performance boost from the Runa drink during the spin class. I don't think I really felt any effects from the quarter of a can, which is probably why I decided that finishing the can after the spin class was a good idea. And that is where it all went horribly wrong.

I found myself wanting to call and talk with my parents, but decided to spare them of that. I could feel the nervous energy coursing through my body and I would have been on fast forward if I had called them. I tried not to talk to Dave because every time I did it was at hyper-speed.

Usually exercising at night wires me so much that I can't sleep and I probably should have been thinking about that when consuming the rest of the Runa. I am so fortunate that I was still able to go to sleep at 10:30, my normal bedtime. What was not normal were my dreams! No scary dreams, just really weird dreams. And then at 4 a.m. BAM! Wide awake, heart racing, mind spinning, and no way I was going back to sleep. I also wasn't going to be able to meet my friend for our Thursday morning run. I was worried about running with my resting heart rate already being at 95 beats per minute.

So yeah, a whole can of Runa Clean Energy is out for me. I should have just stayed with the quarter can and called it good.

1 comment:

mom & dad said...

Thank you for thinking of us - and NOT calling.....