Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Freedom


While I was visiting my grandparents this past summer I had the opportunity to read the history of my Great Uncle Nile. He served in the Marines during World War II. The Marines was not his first choice; he wanted to serve in the Navy. Well actually, he wanted to serve in the Army, but when he first tried to enlist he was too young and they wouldn't take him. He and his friends were anxious to get in the action so the kept pestering the secretary at the Navy office until their numbers were called (at least that is how I remember the story going). My uncle notes that as they were being processed, there was a "really angry looking officer" who was keeping watch over the whole process. When the new Navy recruits were processed the angry-looking officer stepped forward and asked who would like to join the Marines. Not a single one of the guys raised their hand. The Marine officer then asked who had someone currently serving in the Marines. A friend of my uncle's raised his hand. The officer said to him "Welcome to the Marines, boy". The officer then turned to the other guys and asked who would join their friend. Again, no hands went up. But the next thing my uncle knew, he was walking out the door as a new Marine. He spent a great deal of his service during World War II on Iwo Jima. It was a horrible assignment and he saw many injured and killed.

 
Oh, beautiful for heroes proved
In liberating strife
Who more than self their country loved
And mercy more than life!
 
 
My uncle was a hero. My grandpa Bud, my Grandpa Lee, my Uncle Brian, my cousin Justin, my great-grandpa Chatterley, my father-in-law Rich, my uncle Alan, my cousin-in-law
Rob, my brother Nathan...all were and are heroes. Each one placed their country above their own lives and made the commitment to protect the freedoms that are laid out in our Constitution. How different my life would be if there weren't such heroes who stepped (and step) forward when our country needed them. My hope is that we will always have this sense of altruism and patriotism; that when push comes to shove we won't be a nation of selfish, entitled persons who think someone else should do the job. I am so grateful to my family, friends, and countrymen/women who have taken up arms to protect us.
 
Long may our land be bright
With freedom's holy light.
Protect us by thy might,
Great God, our King!

No comments: