Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Gratitude Month

I try to live a grateful life every day. But November seems to nicely lend itself to being even more intentional in noticing my blessings and expressing my gratitude. I also have noticed that the more grateful I am, the more generous I am with others. I'm not necessarily talking about monetary generosity or even sharing my time; I am more generous in giving people the benefit of the doubt, in extending grace and understanding. And since over the last two days I have had a few experiences at work that my initial reaction was to take offense and rebut strong and hard, I need this month to regroup and find that charity again. (PS Fortunately I did engage brain before I engaged my mouth so the words remained in my mind and confrontations were avoided).

So to start this month of gratitude I am going to talk about yesterday.
 
 
 
Yesterday was election day. I remember the first time I voted. I remember going to polling place (it was a church not far from our house), waiting in line, and then proudly wearing my "I Voted" sticker all day long. And even though all elections in Washington are now conducted through mail-in ballots, I still feel the same sense of pride for the privilege I have to vote.
 
I am grateful that I have the opportunity to be involved in the governing process in our city, county, state and country. And while my votes are sometimes on the losing side of a measure, I take comfort in knowing that I did my part and that I have every right to speak up.
 
The right to vote came at a great cost of life. When I take the time to be an informed voter and participate in the process, I am expressing my thanks to all those who sacrificed to give me this right.

No comments: