Thursday, November 13, 2014

Taking Care

On Tuesday night we had a Relief Society activity night where the project for the night was to prepare care packages for the missionaries serving from our ward. A group of about 30 women showed up to cut out felt Christmas trees, ornaments, put bows around Joy to the World  CD's, and creating gift cards. As I looked at all of the women in the room, I was touched. Out of the 30 or so that were attending, only about 5 of those women currently have missionaries serving. As a mom of a missionary, it was heart-warming to see those ladies come out on a Tuesday night to put together those packages. I was grateful for their kindness, compassion and generous giving of their time. They were doing their best to take care.

Then last night I hosted our "Missionary Moms" group. As the name suggests, our group consists of moms who have missionaries currently out (or just recently returned). We share how our missionaries are doing, share concerns, share joys, offer suggestions; the conversation is free-form and we roll with whatever. One of the awesome things about this group is that somehow, without formally establishing the norm of "one speaker at a time", we seem honor each other's speaking time and give each sister who own time with undivided attention. I think that is one of the best things and is what builds the connections; when people feel heard and can tell their whole story uninterrupted. It took me awhile to  make it to the group, but when they made an effort to move the night to a night I could attend, I made the effort to attend. I'm glad I did. I truly have felt these sisters doing their best to take care of the fellow Missionary Moms and offer support in various different ways. I am grateful that a former Missionary Mom had the foresight to start such a group (another example of someone doing her best to take care.)

No comments: