Friday, December 12, 2014

A Moment of Panic

I was in charge of our running route this morning. We had about 45 minutes for our run and we were supposed to me another gal along the way. So I began to plan what route we could cover in about 45 minutes. Part of today's route included an area that I occasionally run through. The last time I ran through this area it was during the day and we covered a new portion of the neighborhood that we hadn't run in before. I decided that was a good route for this morning.

Off we went along familiar roads until we got to the neighborhood. Once in the neighborhood we continued past the regularly run section onto the new section that I had run the past Saturday. All was going well until we came to a T in the road. At the T, I became completely disoriented. I couldn't tell if I was running east, west, north or south. I had no idea which way to turn.

It totally freaked me out to be so disoriented and completely without the ability to get my bearings. My running partners told me where we were, what roads were to the left and right. They ran in the direction that would take us out of the neighborhood and back to the main road. I just had to follow them. I think it was a good 400 yards before I finally was able to get my bearings and begin to recognize where we were.

Note to self, don't run new routes in the dark when it is difficult to find landmarks to get your bearings. And always run with friends who have a good sense of direction.

No comments: