Saturday, January 31, 2015

He Was in the Wind, the Clouds, and in Me

This is a picture of me finishing the Wenatchee Marathon this past spring. It was my first (and so far, only) marathon. I had spent months carefully training for the race. I practiced tempo runs, speed work, long runs. I worked hard to find a nutrition regimen that would carry me through those 26.2 miles. The weeks of training went well and I felt prepared and ready when race day came.

The race started pretty well, but at mile 10 things started to go poorly. I got sick at mile 10. My nutrition regimen that had worked so well on all of my long training runs was no upsetting my stomach. I began to panic about how in the world I was going to finish the race without gels, sports drink and water. When we passed the finish line at the 13.1 mile marker I considered stopping. I was feeling that bad. But as I was running I was praying that I might find it within me to finish this race and meet my goal of finishing.

Slowly I began to realize how God was with me that day. He was in the clouds that covered the sun just as I was beginning to feel like I was overheating. He was in the wind that seemed to be to my advantage every time I needed an extra push. He was in David as he cheered me on and helped me believe that I could finish the race.

And God was in me. He was with me as I passed the 13.1 mile marker and propelled me just one step passed it. With that one step I said to myself, "Well, you're in it now. You've passed the finish line and so now you must continue on until you come to it again."*

People often say that running is a spiritual experience. I think it is usually said when things are going well and they reach that runner's high. I discovered that even when things are falling apart and the run is absolutely miserable, God can still be found. I just had to look and acknowledge His hand in guiding me. The signs may not always be obvious, but they are there. He will never leave us alone.

Remember that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us (Phillipians 4:13)

*The marathon course was a double loop, requiring us to pass the finish line at the 6.1 and 13.1 mile markers.

No comments: