Monday, June 22, 2015

Fathers Are So Special

Yesterday was Father's Day.
It was also the first Father's Day for my dear friend without her father on earth.
My heart hurt for her as I saw all of the Facebook posts about awesome daddy's.
I can't imagine how hard yesterday must have been for her and her mom.
I know I would certainly have a difficult time on Father's Day
if I didn't have these awesome fathers on the earth.
I have learned wonderful and great lessons from each of them.
 
 
 
This is my father-in-law, Rich. I have known him for more than half of my life. He has taught me how to slalom water-ski. Entwined within those slalom lessons were great demonstrations of patience, encouragement, and perseverance (he was willing to continue to drive the boat long after I was ready to give up). He has also taught me how to not take myself too seriously as I watched his example of goofiness. He and my mother-in-law raised a wonderful son who I am honored to call my husband.


This is my dad, Craig. I have to be honest and say that during my growing up years, we had some major bumps in the road. Until my junior year, I wasn't sure how committed he was to being a dad. His job kept him very busy and away from the family. And then when he did re-commit himself to our family and being a dad, I wasn't sure I wanted or needed him. It was rough. But, he did teach me many things. He taught me to be strong and independent. He sparked a love of travel in me. Because of him, I am a connoisseur of cheese and other fine food. However, the most important thing I learned from my dad is that the grace of God is very real; that Christ's atonement and its redemptive power can absolutely change the heart. It was a hard, but beautiful and important lesson. I am so grateful that he is my dad.




This is my man.
He has given me two beautiful children and a wonderful life.
I have learned many things from him.
He helped me develop a love of being fit.


He taught me that there is never a problem that can't be solved.
He taught me that a problem to be solved, should never be more important than a person to love.
He has shown me the meaning of absolute love and devotion.
He has helped me learn how to not be a yeller (although I'm still a loud talker).
He calms my crazy and builds me up.
The list could go on and on.
I certainly hit the jackpot all those years ago
when I sat down next to him on the tailgate of a pick-up truck
at the drive-in theatre.

No comments: